Friday, January 12, 2018

FODDER

So “fodder” has one meaning that is “a person or thing regarded only as material for a specific use”.  In this case, my travels and in particular, the things I observe while traveling, provides fodder for my blog.

My blog is quite outdated – it’s not that I haven’t written any blog posts.  As a matter of fact, I wrote one to get back into the groove a long time via my phone and the Blogger app.  Even has photos but for some reason, it has never successfully finished publishing.

Then I started a long rant post on my Surface while I was flying on a Southwest plane.  However, that post is incomplete but the Surface has been kidnapped by a teenager so remains unfinished.

So what kind of fodder did I come across this time?  A strange modern family ritual.  I recall being filled with trepidation at the thought of flying cross-country with youngsters in tow.  I had three kids that were 1, 2 and 3 years apart (oldest 3 years older than youngest, 2 years older than sibling 2, siblings 2 and 3 were only 1 year apart).  Don’t get me wrong, mine were good travelers but you just dread that you may have to correct chair kicking (yep), stop your kids from bothering people (yep), what they will say to strangers (nothing stands out), whining (not usually), crying (now and then), unexpected things happening to upset the apple cart, urgent needs for bathroom, etc.  Apparently families today don’t suffer from those fears.  I saw multiple families that were traveling with a toddler, an infant AND the lap dog in tow.  Really – now I’m all about animal rescue – anyone who knows me will tell you about my love for animals.  But taking them along on the plane with the whole rest of the family? Two strollers – one for the kid, one for the mutt.  I guess because I would never have just one animal that never entered my thought process.  But while having 2 youngsters along as well – it wouldn’t be happening.  That’s why they have places to board animals or sitters for pets. 

The crowded flight from Dallas to San Diego with every seat taken had at least 3 dogs going.  I have no issue with the dogs going either – only one was a senior lady’s companion, the other 2 were with families. 

On my subsquent flight from San Diego to Las Vegas, there were at least 2 dogs along.  One was with a young couple who sat in front of me and the dog was out at the airport and in their lap the whole flight.  So not even sure why they bothered with having a carrier – I guess that was in case someone told them they had to follow the rules and put the mutt away.  Now this was no show dog.  It was a poodle shih tzu mix.  Kind of looked a bit like Hoganess.  I overheard them say that they had two more shih tzus at home.  So why does one get to travel – and the others stayed home?  I don’t know.  I just know I had a bad enough experience having to change poopy diaper on plane much less worrying about a dog that may have to take care of their business.

However, I was amused at the article in Southwest magazine about the cost and planning to take into consideration when taking pet along, the size consideration and the need for carrier and to keep the pet in the carrier.  That last part didn’t happen – and I don’t have an issue with it  - just wondered what about people who have allergies or are afraid of dogs.  None of the flight attendants told them to put away their pets but then I believe in following rules.  The same people who break those rules are the ones who don’t put their phones in airplane mode when instructed and do what they want when they want.  Just because you’re an independent thinker doesn’t mean you can infringe on other’s rights though.

No comments:

Post a Comment