Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Reconstituting Dylusions Paints

My Dylusions paints went on vacation with me this summer --  from the hot temperatures in Texas through the heat (and fires) into New Mexico then onto Arizona (111° at 9 p.m. at night!!) and down into Southern California.  We had temperatures there mostly around the high 70s but a few into the 90s as well.  I played with my paints during my 2-week stay a little bit, they took couple trips to the beach and then they made the return journey back to Texas in my car.  (Taking the northern route which was a bit cooler and the fires had been extinguished.)  I do the drive in one straight shot so they didn’t spend an extended period of time in the car.   I’ve been home about a month and took them out to play recently and they looked dried out.  I know that Dyan has said to give them a spritz or 2 of water before closing them up to keep them fresh.  But I wanted to get them out to play, I wasn’t preparing to store them.  So I thought if a spritz of water is okay, then a bit more water couldn’t hurt.  I mean that’s what we normally do with dried out paint, right?  Wrong.
This is what happens when20160806_145717 you add too much water to your Dylusions paint.  It becomes like chunky cottage cheese.  I thought that maybe I just didn’t mix it up well enough and maybe a bit more water would thin it out.  This was the second jar that I tried adding water to – the first one grew so much that I had to put some of the paint into a second container!
20160806_145742
This is the white paint that I added more and  more water, too.  It just wasn’t sinking in that I wasn’t treating my paint properly until I also did the same to the pink paint.  Then I finally had my “a ha” moment.  (This was an empty Truvia jar so it’s quite large, about twice the size of the Dylusions jar.)  I did this to the white and then put the ruinous water into the pink paint.
20160806_145858This just wasn’t right.  So I headed off to the craft store to look at what mediums were available to see what I could use to rescue my Dylusions paints.  This is what I found – Golden regular gel (semi-gloss).  It looked right, seemed to have the right feel and consistency.
So I got home and added some to my black Dylusions paints - just a shmear -- don't glop it in there.  All it needed was a bit to get it smoothed out and it looked like this:
20160806_145729
I was pretty happy with that so I did the same thing with the white to see if I could “fix” it from the mess I’d made.  This was the result:
20160806_145725
Hurray!  Rescued my Dylusions paints.  Will do follow-up post on what I did with the chunky pink and how the paint worked after the Gel was added.  Now I don’t know how the gel medium may change the properties of the paint but it did what I wanted – which was to get back the right feel of the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment