Thursday, August 4, 2016

Yupo, Tissue Paper, Yaaaassss...........TUTORIAL

Recently bought some Yupo paper to play with - intended to get out the alcohol inks but instead just played with what I had out - Ranger Distress Inks.   I don't know if anyone else has used this technique but it creates gorgeous, gorgeous papers - which can vary depending on the color you choose.  So let's get started.   Here's what you need:
Supplies
Supplies used:  White tissue paper, Yupo watercolor paper, Tim Holtz Distress Inks and water in spray bottle and that desktop/tabletop essential, the non-stick craft sheet.

Yupo paper - all ready!




Tear out a sheet of Yupo paper and put it on your non-stick craft sheet.
Smoosh that Distress Ink onto the Yupo paper in any form or pattern that pleases your eye.  Overlap, blend or leave white space.  Choose colors that you like - play!  After all, this is what art and crafting is about, experimentation!
DTP with ink
Now you're going to take your sprayer and wet the inks on the Yupo - I pulled the trigger 4 or 5 times until the ink starts to move:

Spray away!

 I tear the tissue paper so it's a little larger than the piece of Yupo that I'm using - or don't tear it at all and just lay it over the Yupo.  I like getting all kinds of wrinkles and creases in there because the color will concentrate on them and be darker there and more muted in the flatter pieces of the tissue paper.
Lay down the tissue - for once in your life, embrace the wrinkles!!!!

 Here is the Yupo standing up with the wetted tissue paper attached.  I figured that I would just leave it to dry overnight and then find something, maybe a solid image and stamp it in black over the top of the tissue paper, find a sentiment to add, glue it to a card and be done with it.  But, here's the tip, I was in for a surprise.  You can see the tissue paper is stuck tight to the Yupo.  You can lift it when it's wet but you'll lose that spray of color, the wrinkly veining and the tissue will just go flat again.  Don't touch it! Leave it alone!  (I know that's the hard part).  But that's NOT ALL.  My first piece I glued the edges of the paper to the Yupo as it was drying because I kept fussing with it impatientily, inadvertently moving the tissue paper and I wanted to keep those veined lines. But even with glue on the piece, once it was dry, voila!  It lifted right off the Yupo.  I was like "what??!!!"  The Yupo had a faint hint of color on it, so I had to try it again.  So I inked that puppy right back up, sprayed the ink, laid down another piece of tissue paper, let it dry (no glue this time) and it pulled clean off.  But oh, the textured colors that you get --- and it's soooo sooo easy.
2nd paper - one side

2nd paper - other side
1st paper - with glue over color


So that's it, that's all there is to the tutorial. I eventually must have stamped on the Yupo because I couldn't find the original piece for tutorial pics.   I apologize for my blog, I'm not good with formatting or figuring out how to line up the pictures nicely but I was so excited to write this and share what I was doing that I just didn't fuss with figuring it out, I left it be.

I have carved out a place to play on the dining room table that looks like this today:
Space? to craft

But I had to find somewhere to put WIP (work in progress) while we used the table for its normal activities, you know, like, dinner with the family.  So this became my solution.  I could keep my stuff out but close at hand. It also means I  have a place to put things when done or to dry where I wouldn't ruin them.  Yeah it's messy but when I'm done, I can close the boxes and nicely stack it and make it more presentable - but this is real life.  I enjoy creating in chaos.
Plop Place



No comments:

Post a Comment